HIGHER PSYCHOLOGY- only available in S6
Higher English at a B or above is an essential pre-requisite to study Psychology at Higher level and at least two other Highers at B. National 5 Maths is also strongly recommended.
The main purposes of the course are to enable learners to develop an understanding of the psychological study of the human brain and behaviour in a range of contexts, and to enhance their ability to use evidence to explain behaviour. The course develops learners’ understanding of psychology as the scientific study of the brain, mind and behaviour. Psychology is a research-based subject, and it provides the opportunity to conduct practical research. This includes working with human participants in accordance with ethical standards.
Course Topics –
Individual Behaviour - Sleep and Dreams, and Memory.
Social Behaviour - Conformity and Obedience, and Prejudice and Discrimination.
Research Methods: This is taught through the Research Investigation.
Research Investigation 6 SCQF credit points out of 40 and worth 33% of overall grade. One internal unit assessment; prelim and Higher Examination out of 80. Exam lasts 2 hours 40 minutes.
The Course aims to develop:
· knowledge and understanding of psychological concepts, theories, approaches and terminology
· the ability to use thinking skills when analysing, evaluating and applying knowledge and understanding of psychology
· understanding of the role of research evidence in explaining human behaviour
· research skills to select, organise, interpret and evaluate information
· the ability to plan and carry out psychological research, using appropriate method and according to ethical and scientific standards
· communication and numeracy skills used in psychology
Homework - is issued twice per topic (minimum), usually on Assignments on Teams.
Who is suitable?
Higher Psychology is suitable for learners with an interest in finding out more about the human mind and behaviour. Learners should be interested in developing their thinking, research and communication skills, either to pursue study and career options related to psychology, or to broaden their learning experience. It is a demanding crash higher that requires a lot of reading to consolidate complex and abstract theories with a language all of its own.